Need more space for family gatherings? Want to add a home theater system to your living room and need more space? You can find out the cost for adding a living room to your home – or enlarging the living room you now have with our living room addition cost calculator.
This free calculator uses your homes location, information on your design and the material you will use and the amount of work you will do yourself (if any) to calculate the cost for add living room.
10 tips to start your Living Room Addition Right
- Determine your budget using a Living Room remodeling cost estimator
- Search, save, and share design ideas using the IdeaFile
- Hire an interior designer to review your needs and your homes current condition and get their advice and design ideas
- Update design and budget as necessary
- If your hiring a general contractor begin interviewing – interview at least 5
- If you DIY, check with the local government to see if a permit is required.
- After talking with contractors – write out a detailed specification for your project.
- If you DIY, begin looking for tradespeople and sub-contrators to do the work you won’t do.
- Review quotes and do background and reference check on contractors and create a contract
- Sign contract and begin work!
Where to get Ideas for your Living Room Addition
Start with your existing room and note what you like and do not like. Start collecting photos of living rooms you do like and specific features. Make sure you take notes for each photo of what you like and why you are saving the photo. You can save your living room addition design idea photos on pinterest.com or houzz.com or google docs. Pinterest allows you too collaborate and share your photos with others which is a nice feature.
Take pictures of living rooms that you see and like and visit design show rooms and open houses to get more ideas.
DIY is popular with lots of homes – about a 1/3 will do some of the work themselves from design and getting the permit to demolition and painting. The best reason to DIY for your living room addition is because you enjoy the challenge, the work and/or learning something new. While you can save money DIY the savings are not assured and come at a cost of your free time and possibly your sanity!
Labor for add living room is approximately 60% of the total project cost – depending on the design and the materials you choose and the labor rates in your
Question: What is the estimated cost of an second story addition?
Answer: Find out what the cost is for a second story addition with our free 2nd story cost calculator
Question: Building a livingroom, kitchen and bathroom costs.
Answer: It is hard to give a single number for building a living room kitchen and bathroom. It is better to split up the cost since a living room is much less expensive than a kitchen and bathroom for a home addition. OR you can count everything as a “living room” and use $75 a square foot for building costs then add the cabinet, countertop, plumbing electrical and misc other costs that will only be in the kitchen and bathroom. You can use our cost calculators on this site to estimate the costs with your home addition
Question: Tips for Estimating a DIY home addition
Answer: our home addition cost calculators and estimators at remodelormove.com includ a detailed breakdown that shows the labor and material costs. For a DIY just take out the labor costs for the portion of the project you plan to do yourself.