When you are ready to remodel a small bathroom, it is important to keep in mind the available space. You might be tempted to include everything that would belong in a
full-sized bathroom – which is a mistake. Another mistake is choosing over-sized fixtures and decorative items. The trick is to choose items with clean, simple lines and of an appropriate size so as to not overcrowd the room. You can even create a luxurious and elegant look in a small bathroom, as long as you go for understated elegance.
Remodeling Bathroom Tips: Main Items
• Select a smaller-sized spa or whirlpool tub, or a shower stall which is compact. There are many tub designs that are on the market for seniors which also work nicely in the smaller bathrooms.
• Select a wall mounted sink or a pedestal sink. This leaves for more open floor area, which creates the illusion of a larger sized bathroom.
• Select a compact toilet. A taller, narrower style will fit the space better than a shorter, wider style.
Remodeling Bathroom Tips: Decorative Items
• Select a mirror that either does not have a frame or has a very small one. This will make the space appear lighter and larger.
• Cover one of the walls in the bathroom with a mirror or mirror tiles to give the room the illusion of being larger.
• Use a single towel ring next to the sink instead of a larger towel bar.
• Do not have extra linens in the bathroom, but only what is necessary.
• Install a tube light if there is not window in the room.
• Add storage to the walls by being creative.
Remodeling Bathroom Tips: Decorating ideas
• When selecting colors, use brighter and lighter shades.
• Use frosted or glass block windows instead of curtains or blinds to keep an open feel to the space.
• Use paint or wallpaper that draws the eye upward. Vertical designs, vertical stripes, or a border at the top of the wall will all give this effect.
• Use small shelves above and around the toilet and sink to provide storage.
• Do not use more than two colors.
• Don’t clutter the bathroom with too many knick-knacks.
• When selecting upgrades and luxuries, find those that do not close the bathroom in, such as fragrances, a heated towel rod, fog-less mirror, radiant floor heating, spa tub, and massaging shower head.
Simplicity is the best rule of thumb when remodeling small-sized bathrooms. Well selected and well placed items will create an attractive and comfortable bathroom.