Update: Adding an extra bedroom to your home is a great idea for a number of reasons; whether you have a growing family or young children, have elderly or inform relatives coming to live with you, or if you just want an extra guest bedroom. More bedrooms in a house adds value to the property and helps make your home more flexible to live in. Determining the cost of an extra bedroom depends on many factors, such as whether you will finish an existing space such as a basement or attic, adding a room addition, or if the bedroom will include bathroom suite too.
There are many reasons to add a bedroom to your home. Perhaps your parents are aging and you are planning on taking care of them. Or perhaps, your children no longer have adequate space in the room they share. Or perhaps, you have just had a new addition to the family yourself. Whatever the reason, if you are considering upgrading your home with a bedroom addition, there are many questions you likely need answered.
Your first question is what options you have. There are two ways you can go about this, you can build onto your home or use existing space within your home to add a bedroom.
- Do you have space available within your home that you could convert to an additional bedroom?
- Do you have an area in the home that is not frequently used that may be converted?
- Does your home have an attic that can be converted?
- Does your home have a basement that can be converted?
- Can the roof be raised to provide the additional space?
If you plan on adding a bedroom to your home
- Will the addition be the legally required distance from your property line?
- Are you okay with giving up yard space?
- How will the plans be affected by the terrain of your property? Will it be necessary to remove trees? Will you be building on a slope? Will runoff of rain water be affected by the addition?
- Will the orientation of the room provide sufficient or too much light?
- How will the new addition affect other areas of the existing structure? Will the new structure interfere with a view or with existing light? Will you need to traverse an existing room for access to the addition or will access to the room be reasonable?
- How will the lines of the home and roof intersect with the addition?
- Will there be any interference to neighboring homes?
- Will the exterior look of your home be affected?
Once you have determined the location of the room, then you will be able to consider the design of the bedroom addition. If you end up adding on to your home, it will be necessary to consider your neighborhood, the exterior of your home and the impact the new addition will have.
- Will there be space under the foundation of the addition? If yes, how will the space be used?
- Design the roof line so that it will connect seamlessly with the rest of the roof.
- Choose exterior wall and roofing materials that match or blend well with the existing structure and neighborhood.
- Choose windows that match or blend with existing windows and window placements.
Now consider the interior of your home and the adding a bedroom to your home.
- How will access to the room be constructed? How will this affect the cost of the project? Will it be necessary to access the addition through an existing room? Will you add a hallway to enter the room? How will this affect other rooms in the home? Will the other rooms maintain their functionality?
- Will it be necessary to tear out walls in order to connect the addition to the existing structure?
Next you will begin designing the addition.
- How will access to the bathroom be accomplished?
- What will be the design and location of the closet? Will you have a walk-in closet or will it have sliding doors, or folding doors?
- What will be the location of the windows and what type of windows will you install?
- Will the new addition have an adjacent bathroom?
- What will be the design of the ceiling? Will you construct a tray ceiling? A pitched ceiling? Will the room have a ceiling fan or overhead lighting?
After determining the location of doors, closets and windows, you will want to consider the wall space that is left available for the positioning of furniture. Then:
- Decide whether you will have tile, carpet or hardwood for the flooring in the room.
- Consider the placement of air conditioning and heating ducts or baseboard units.
- Consider where the television connections, electrical outlets, etc. will go.
- Will the room have sufficient natural lighting or will it be necessary to install additional light fixtures?
Now, it is time to plan the work involved and who will be performing the work.
- Visit your local government regarding specific work that must be completed by a licensed contractor, necessary permits and building codes.
- Begin planning the construction of your new addition. This includes its foundation, roof construction, wall demolition of existing structure, exterior walls.
- Schedule framing, heating and cooling work, plumbing work and installation.
- Schedule window, door and floor installation
- Schedule finishing work, such as installation of fixtures, wallpapering, painting, etc.
The addition of the new bedroom will not only provide the space that you need, but will add value to your home. You can expect to recover 75 to 90% at the time of selling the home.
Frequently Asked Adding a Room Questions:
Question: Cost for adding extra rooms to home?
Question: Cost to build an additional medium bedroom with a bathroom?
Answer: it is best to estimate the cost of adding the bedroom separately from the cost to add a bathroom since the cost of each varies greatly. The average cost per square for an additional medium bedroom is approximately $125 while the cost to add on a bathroom is $300 or more. Try our bedroom addition cost calculator and our bathroom addition cost calculator for a free instant home addition estimator.
Question: How much does it cost for adding on a living room, guest room and bath room?
Question: Which is the way for converting a living room into a bedroom?
Question: Where to get design ideas about living room guest room combo?
Question: How to turn a den into a bedroom?
Question: How much does it cost for converting a family room into a bedroom?