Try our home addition remodel and renovation cost calculators if you are looking for free construction estimating program or software. Our residential cost estimator software is free to use and gives a total cost to remodel broken down into major cost groups- from the foundation to the roof. The costs are also divided between labor and materials.
The cost calculators are residential remodeling current pricing software that is regularly updated and use the 4 major remodeling, renovation and home addition cost drivers: where the home is located, who is doing the work, the size and design of the room and the materials.
How much will it cost to remodel and how do I get a cost estimate using free residential construction estimating software are common questions from homeowners. RemodelOrMove.com provides this guide and tools and all the information you need to use free residential construction estimating software and start your remodel right!
- An instant cost estimate from our free residential construction estimating software
- Thousands and thousands of photos of bathrooms and kitchens to search, save and share
- Check list to start your project successfully
- Answers to your questions
There are many ways to get cost estimates using free residential construction estimating software and to create a budget before and after the designs are complete.
For an initial budget you can use industry cost averages – like $20,000 for a kitchen remodel or $10,000 for a bathroom remodel, but no one lives in an average house in an average city! Another common method is to create an estimate using a cost per square foot method. This is very popular and effective for builders since they have developed a dollar per square foot that reflects their business and costs. Unfortunately dollar per square foot estimates need to be adjusted based on what is in that square foot! If it is the garage or a bathroom the cost can vary from $25 to $250 and more. So estimating this way works best for the pros.
How the Remodel Cost Calculators Work
The Remodelormove cost calculator combines both methods to provide an estimate. The calculators use your location to estimate labor costs, your preferences for types of materials and fixtures as well as how much work you would like to do. Choosing economy, average or expensive materials for your remodel has a big impact on the overall costs for the kitchen and bathroom remodel and additions. The cost of materials has less of an impact on rooms like garage and bedroom additions.
The labor costs include both the fees and markups added by general contractors as well as the labor of the tradespeople who do the framing. Flooring, tile, drywall, etc. All of this work can be done by a homeowner. If you choose to do some of the work yourself, make sure you do a lot of practice before taking on the task for you home. What looks easy on a youtube video invariably has a lot of tricks and techniques that aren’t obvious; especially with plumbing!
Get your instant free residential construction estimating software estimate now.
Payback from remodeling or adding on to your home
When calculating the cost of your project be sure to consider the net when using free residential construction estimating software. This is the cost of construction minus what your home will appreciate due to the construction. The free residential construction estimating software provides an estimate of this payback as well. This is estimated by the value of your home, the cost of your construction and the typical payback for that type of project. Remember, the amount your home will appreciate – the payback – for your remodel is determined only at the time of sale and by a buyer. If you have any questions talk with an experienced real estate agent who is familiar with the prices of homes in your neighborhood.
Along with getting a free residential construction estimating software cost estimate, dreaming of what it will look like is a favorite first step for homeowners. Try our IdeaFile to search millions of kitchen, bathroom and home pictures and save and share what you find.
10 tips to start a Remodel right!
- Determine your budget using free residential construction estimating software
- Search, save, and share design ideas using the IdeaFile
- Hire an interior designer to review your needs and your homes current condition and get their advice and design ideas
- Update design and budget as necessary
- If you’re hiring a general contractor begin interviewing – interview at least 5
- If you DIY, check with the local government to see if a permit is required.
- After talking with contractors – write out a detailed specification for your project.
- If you DIY, begin looking for tradespeople and sub-contrators to do the work you won’t do.
- Review quotes and do background and reference check on contractors and create a contract
- Sign contract and begin work!