Skip to Content

Is it OK to eat slightly raw steak?

It is not typically recommended to eat slightly raw steak because the risk of foodborne illness is significantly higher due to the fact that steak typically contains bacteria. Although rare, these bacteria can cause foodborne illnesses such as Salmonella, E. coli, and Campylobacter.

Additionally, the texture and flavor of a slightly raw steak might not be enjoyable. When it comes to cooking steak, it is best to use a thermometer, such as a digital thermometer, to ensure that it meets a safe internal temperature.

The internal temperature should reach at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit for medium-rare and 160 degrees Fahrenheit for medium. Additionally, you should allow your steak to rest for at least 3 minutes at room temperature or up to 10 minutes if it has a thick cut to ensure that the internal temperature is consistent throughout the steak.