When it comes to what you need for a dorm room, it largely depends on individual preferences. However, here is a general list of items you may want to consider purchasing for your dorm room:
Bedding: Bed sheets, pillows, mattress pad, and a comforter are essentials for any dorm room.
School Supplies: A laptop, textbooks, notebooks, pens/pencils, highlighters and a calculator are all necessary for any college student.
Cleaning Supplies: External hard drives, disinfecting wipes, cleaning cloths/sponges and a mini vacuum are great items to have in your dorm room.
Kitchen Supplies: Eating utensils, small kitchen appliances such as a microwave and toaster oven, and a mini refrigerator (if allowed) are all helpful if you plan on cooking in your dorm.
Other Items: A wastebasket, wall art, a plant, coffee maker and accessories, hanging organizers and/or over the door storage, storage bins to organize items under the bed, a fan and/or space heater (depending on the climate of your school), a first-aid kit, and a comfortable chair/bean bag are all helpful items to have in your dorm room.
What are must haves for college freshman?
A college freshman should have a few key items to help make the transition to college life a smooth one. Here’s a list of must-have items:
1. A reliable laptop with Wi-Fi access. You will need a laptop to complete coursework, provide access to library materials, and communications.
2. An emergency kit. Gather all essential items you may need in case of an emergency, like a first aid kit, flashlights and batteries, important documents, and cash.
3. Storage bins. For all the extras that won’t fit into your dorm or apartment, storage bins are a must-have. Choose bins in different sizes for easy stacking and categorizing.
4. A planner. A planner can help you stay organized and on track with a hectic college schedule, so you don’t fall behind on course assignments and important dates.
5. Grocery items. Stock up on snacks and other grocery items to save from having to run out to the store all the time.
6. Bed and bath items. Pillows, sheets, towels, a bathrobe, and a shower caddy for all the items you take to the shower are encouraged.
7. Décor. To make your space both functional and comfortable, consider adding photos, artwork, and other items to make your space your own.
8. Bedding. Having comfortable bedding is important when you’re away from home. Look for sets that come with comforters, sheets, and pillow cases.
9. A laundry basket. For washing clothes, a laundry basket is a must-have.
10. A tool kit. Have a set of both hand tools and power tools so you can hang pictures, assemble furniture, and make any other quick repairs.
What should you not forget in a dorm room?
In a dorm room, there are many essential items that you should not forget to bring in order to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable. First, you’ll need to stock up on basic toiletries such as soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, and other hygiene items.
Additionally, you will want to bring bedding items such as sheets, a mattress pad, a comforter, blankets, and pillows. Other useful supplies for the bedroom include an alarm clock, an organizational system for clothing and other belongings, a desk lamp, a rug, and storage bins for all of your items.
In the kitchen, you’ll want to bring basic kitchen necessities such as mugs, plates, silverware, kitchen utensils, and cookware. It is also helpful to have essential kitchen appliances such as a microwave, a toaster, or a mini refrigerator.
Other items that you don’t want to forget include a laundry hamper, a cleaning supply caddy, basic first aid supplies, trash cans, and a tool kit. Last but certainly not least, don’t forget to bring some items to personalize your room and make it feel like home such as wall art, a tapestry, plants, and photos.
What do students buy the most?
Students typically buy a variety of items, some of which depend on their particular interests and individual needs. However, there are some common items that students routinely purchase. School supplies such as paper, pens, pencils, and notebooks are often purchased by students in order to complete their assignments.
Students also commonly buy textbooks, which are necessary for studying and completing assignments. In addition, electronics such as laptops, tablets, and cell phones are popular items for students, as they are frequently used for completing school assignments and staying connected with friends and family.
Other items that students often purchase include school apparel, such as t-shirts, sweatshirts, and hats; snacks and food items; dorm room décor and supplies; and school-related materials such as course packs, software, and tools that allow students to better complete their work.
What every student needs in their room?
Every student should have a comfortable, clean, and organized space in their room to help them thrive in their studies and everyday life. This should include a comfortable desk and chair, plenty of storage for their books and supplies, and good lighting for their workspace.
Depending on the student’s learning style and needs, it can be helpful to include a printer, laptop, or other technology to support their studies. An uncluttered and aesthetically pleasing space can also be beneficial, with decorations, art, or plants that make the room feel like it’s theirs and inspire creativity.
Above all, a student’s room should be a place of relaxation and study, so it should be a place they feel safe and inspired.
What do college kids spend their money on?
College kids typically spend their money on necessities such as food, rent, and transportation. Additionally, many college students need to purchase textbooks, school supplies, and other items necessary to succeed in their studies.
Other popular spending categories include clothes, entertainment, technology and gadgets, and food.
When it comes to entertainment, college students often spend their money on movies, video games and visiting local attractions. They tend to socialize with friends, which may include going to bars and restaurants, taking trips, and buying concert and event tickets.
Tech and gadgets are a popular purchase among college students as they bring convenience and can provide a study aid. Smartphones, laptops, tablets, gaming consoles, and other high-tech items are common purchases.
Many students also shell out money for subscriptions to streaming services, music-streaming apps, and other online services.
Eating is one of the biggest expenditures for many college students. This includes buying groceries, going out for meals with friends, and ordering take-out. Food delivery services such as DoorDash, GrubHub, and Uber Eats have become increasingly popular among college kids.
Finally, college kids often spend their money on items not related to their studies. This includes clothes, accessories, cosmetics, and jewelry. College students often shop in value-oriented stores like TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, and Local Outlet for these types of items.
How much money should I spend on my dorm room?
How much money you should spend on your dorm room depends on a variety of factors such as your budget, the size of the room, what supplies you need and any extra features you might want. Generally, you can find all the basic supplies you need to furnish a dorm room at a fairly low cost.
Basic items like a bed frame, mattress, desk, chair, and storage are essential, so you want to make sure you have the necessary funds allocated toward those purchases. You can then add in some extra items like curtains, rugs, decorations, lamps, etc.
to make the room feel more personalized and comfortable.
Keep in mind that there are other costs associated with dorm living like utilities and food, so you want to make sure you have enough in your budget for those as well. Depending on the amount of money you have available, you may have to prioritize those costs over buying more items for the dorm room.
Ultimately, the amount of money you should spend on your dorm room will depend on the individual and their particular needs and budget.
How much do the average college students spend on dorm stuff?
The average amount of money that college students spend on dorm stuff can vary widely, depending on the individual and the institution. Generally speaking, most students living in a dorm can expect to spend somewhere between $400-$2,000 for the items needed to make their dorm room home.
The items that might be necessary for a dorm room can include items like a bed, mattress, desk, and chair. Other necessities could include furniture to store clothing and other items, as well as a small refrigerator and perhaps a microwave.
Other items that students may need include lamps, rugs, decorations, and essentials such as garbage cans and cleaning supplies.
The cost of these items can vary greatly depending on where they are purchased, and in what quantity. Some students may choose to buy the items separately, while others may consult with their residence hall or dorm and purchase everything in bulk, which may result in some savings.
In addition to the furnishings and supplies, college students may also need to purchase bedding, towels, and any items of clothing that specifically pertain to dorm living. This could include items like extra-long twin sheets, bathrobes, and flip flops for the shower.
All of these items can add up and should be taken into consideration when budgeting for dorm stuff.
What to bring to college that no one tells you?
In addition to the typical items that students bring to college, such as laptops, textbooks, and clothing, there are some other items that people don’t typically mention. Here are some ideas for items you may not think about as you prepare for college:
1. Something to personalize your space (e.g. photographs, wall art, posters, etc.)
2. A shower caddy to keep your bathroom items organized and easily accessible.
3. Rain boots or an umbrella so you won’t get wet when walking around campus.
4. Cleaning supplies, such as a vacuum, to keep your dorm room clean.
5. An extra mattress pad or comforter for when friends visit or you go on weekend trips.
6. A power strip and surge protector to provide more outlets for all your electronics and appliances.
7. A multi-purpose tool such as a Swiss Army knife to fix things or open packages.
8. First Aid supplies to treat minor cuts, scrapes, and other ailments.
9. A bike or other means of transportation to get around town.
10. A reusable water bottle since hydration is essential for college students.
What do most people forget to bring to college?
Most people tend to forget to bring the essentials to college, such as clothing, bedding, toiletries, school supplies, and electronics. However, there are some other items people are likely to forget, especially if their home is across the country.
These items generally include: phone and laptop chargers, small kitchen appliances, important documents (such as a copy of your birth certificate, Social Security card, or driver’s license), medicine, books, extra decorations and furniture, cleaning supplies, extra storage containers, and any don’t-forgets.
Plus, people sometimes forget to bring an extra set of keys, a bike or other form of transportation, and often forget to call their cell phone provider to set up a plan while at college. Lastly, they should remember to have all of their contact information readily available and to inform family and friends of their new address.
What does every boy need for college?
Every boy heading off to college needs to bring the essentials for success. This includes a laptop or desktop computer, a printer and printer paper, textbooks and other course materials, notebooks, pens and other writing implements, a planner for time management, and a quality backpack for carrying books, tech and other items.
Depending on the major, specialized items such as lab equipment, sketchpads, voice recorders, and other items may be necessary.
Boys need to remember to cover the basics of living away from home—bedding, towels, toiletries, laundry detergent and supplies, and other essentials. Eating right is important, so it won’t be a bad idea to bring some kitchenware and snacks, as college cafeterias may not provide enough nourishment.
Several forms of payment—credit/debit cards, cash, and prepaid cards—may also be helpful in managing expenses.
Campus safety should always be kept in mind, so boys would do well to bring pepper spray, a whistle, and a first-aid kit. Staying in touch with family and friends is important, so a cell phone, phone cards, and adequate batteries and chargers for electronics are essential.
Involvement in activities also makes college life more enjoyable and meaningful, so boys should bring a few items to personalize their living spaces, such as photos, posters, and other decorations. Basically, boys should remember to bring the items that will make their college experience more comfortable and enriching.
How can I decorate my dorm room cheaply?
Decorating your dorm room can be done on a budget! Here are some tips to help you decorate your dorm room cheaply:
• Shop At Thrift Stores: Thrift stores are a great source for cheap furniture, curtains and decorations. You can often find large items such as dressers and desks by checking Craigslist or Freecycle as well.
• Buy Multi-Purpose Furniture: Look for furniture that you can use in multiple ways such as a futon that can be used as a couch and a bed. This will save you money and space in the long run.
• Use Wallpaper or Peel & Stick Decorations: Add a splash of color to your room with wallpapers and peel & stick decorations. These are much cheaper than paint and can be moved around if need be.
• Get Creative With Lights: Lights can add a lot of ambiance in dorms. Look for strings of lights with different settings or decorate with paper lanterns. Candles and string lights are great for adding a cozy feel to a room and for making a small space feel welcoming.
• Make Your Own Decorations: Get creative and make your own decorations! String artwork and photos, use colorful fabric to make curtains, or paint furniture. You can also transform your furniture with just a few coat of chalky paint for a one of a kind look.
• Go Shopping on a Budget: Shop around for items that are on sale or find deals online such as discounts and free shipping. If you have the time, you can also find items at yard sales and swap meets.
• Reuse What You Already Have: Look around your own house or your friends’ houses for items you can use in your dorm room. Ask friends and family if they have any extra items they’d be willing to give away or lend to you.
You may be surprised at what you can find!.
Follow these tips and you’ll be able to easily decorate your dorm room cheaply! Have fun and get creative!
What do I need in my dorm room that is not obvious?
Before starting to pack for college and move into the dorm room, it is important to think of all the necessary items needed. Here are some items that are not so obvious that you may need in your dorm room:
1. Cable Splitter: If more than one student will be sharing a TV, a cable splitter allows cable to be split and be used by multiple people.
2. Surge Protector: Surge protectors help protect your electronics from power surges, shock, and fire.
3. Extension Cords: Extension cords come in handy when you need to plug something in but the outlet is out of reach.
4. Shower Caddy: Save yourself from carrying your shower supplies back and forth from the bathroom by investing in a shower caddy.
5. Throw Blankets: The dorm room can get cold and it’s always nice to have a few extra blankets and throws.
6. Headphones: Whether you’re studying, watching movies, or listening to music, having headphones can help keep the peace.
7. Iron and Ironing Board: When you need to look your best for class, no dorm room is complete without an iron and an ironing board.
8. Sewing Kit: What better way to repair a tear, stitch up a button, or patch a hole in your clothes, than with a sewing kit.
9. Desk Lamp: If the main light in your dorm room is too harsh and not adjustable, a desk lamp can come in handy to provide extra light in that area.
10. Clothes Steamer: If you don’t have time to iron, a clothes steamer can help provide a quick and easy fix to get you looking presentable again.
How do you make a dorm room aesthetic?
Making your dorm room aesthetic can be a fun and rewarding experience. First, decide how you want your dorm room to look and feel; think about what colors and styles you would like to incorporate into the space.
After settling on a general style, look for ways to personalize the space with wall decor — colorful Posters, photographs, or prints — and furniture. Consider Wall shelves for additional storage, and rugs or accent pieces to bring more life to the room.
Add some bedding and cushions to bring in patterns and colors that reflect your taste and complete the look. Be sure to also bring some plants to add a bit of nature to the space and promote good air quality.
Lastly, make sure your dorm room has adequate lighting and plenty of outlets to accommodate your needs.
How can I make my dorm desk look better?
Making your dorm desk look better can be a fun and easy way to spruce up your living space. Here are a few ideas on how to make your desk look more attractive:
1. Declutter. Start by taking everything off your desk and organizing it into piles; some things can be thrown away, and other items can be put away. Discard anything that hasn’t been touched in months and you’ll be left with only the things that you need.
2. Invest in a good desk. If your desk is looking a bit worn, consider investing in a new one. There are plenty of modern, simple designs that can easily upgrade the look of your dorm room.
3. Add a few decorations. Choose a few items that reflect your personality and style. Pictures, candle holders, succulents, and wall art are just some of the many items that can help make your desk look more inviting.
4. Keep it clean and organized. Once you have decluttered and decorated, it’s important to keep the space neat and organized. Make an effort to clean up your desk when it gets messy and you’ll have a neat and stylish workspace.
What will my son need for his college dorm?
Your son will need a lot of items for their college dorm, which will depend on their individual needs. The most essential items include:
-Bed linen: sheets, blankets, and pillow will be needed. Consider getting an extra set for when one set is in the wash.
-Storage: Make sure to bring a dresser and some bins, baskets, and shelves to help maximize storage in the cramped dorm room.
-Desk essentials: Get a desk lamp and chair and some organizational items such as file folders, bins, and containers.
-Electronics: Computer, laptop, printer, phone, and Bluetooth speakers are all essential.
-Cleaning supplies: Have disinfectants wipes, garbage bags, and all-purpose cleaner on hand to keep the space clean and tidy.
-Kitchen: A mini fridge and microwave will be essential, as well as some basic kitchen supplies such as a kettle, coffee maker, toaster, plates, bowls and cutlery.
-Bathroom supplies: Have your son bring toiletries, a shower caddy, towels, and a small laundry basket for easy transporting of laundry to the laundromat.
-Comfort items: Have some cozy items such as an extra blanket, rug, and pillows to make their space more inviting and their own.
-Miscellaneous: Have a toolbox and all-in-one tool set handy just in case, as well as basic electronics like an extension cord and surge protector. Additionally, a mini sewing kit and first aid kit should be included for emergencies.