Skip to Content

What housing programs are available in CT?

Connecticut offers various housing assistance programs for low-income residents. These programs help families and individuals access affordable housing through subsidies, vouchers, loans, and other forms of aid. The main housing programs available in CT include:

Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program is the largest rental assistance program in Connecticut. It is funded by the federal government and administered by local public housing authorities. Eligible low-income families receive vouchers to cover part of their rent costs in privately owned rental units. To qualify for Section 8 in CT, you must have a household income at or below 50% of the area median income. Preference is given to elderly, disabled, and homeless applicants.

How Section 8 works

With a Section 8 voucher, you can choose any rental unit that meets program requirements. Your portion of the rent is based on your income – generally 30% of your adjusted gross income. The housing authority pays the landlord the difference between your portion and the total rent. On average, Section 8 vouchers cover about 70% of a recipient’s rent. There are long waiting lists for Section 8, so you may have to wait several months or years after applying.

Applying for Section 8 in CT

To apply for Section 8 in Connecticut, contact your local public housing authority. You can search for your local PHA on the website for the Connecticut Department of Housing. The application process involves submitting documents to verify your household composition, income, assets, and other eligibility factors. You will also be asked to provide references and undergo a background check.

State Rental Assistance Program (RAP)

The State Rental Assistance Program (RAP) provides subsidies similar to Section 8 to help families afford market-rate rental units in Connecticut. It is funded by the state and administered through the Connecticut Housing Finance Authority (CHFA). To qualify for RAP assistance in CT, you must have a household income below 50% of the area median.

How RAP works

RAP provides a monthly subsidy paid directly to your landlord to cover a portion of your rent. You pay 30% of your adjusted monthly income as rent. RAP covers the balance of the rent up to a payment standard limit based on Fair Market Rents. The program has limited funding, so waitlists and lottery systems are typically used to select recipients.

Applying for RAP in CT

You must apply for RAP through local administering agencies approved by the CHFA. These agencies maintain waitlists and determine eligibility based on income limits, credit checks, and other criteria. Examples of local RAP administering agencies include community action agencies and regional nonprofit housing organizations.

Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8)

The Housing Choice Voucher program provides rental assistance vouchers to very low-income families, seniors, and disabled individuals. The vouchers allow recipients to rent market-rate housing units, with a portion of the rent paid by the voucher. To qualify, you must have a household income below 50% of the area median income. Preference is given to homeless applicants or those displaced, living in substandard housing, or paying over 50% of income for rent.

How the Housing Choice Voucher Program works

With a housing voucher, you can select any rental unit that meets program requirements. Your share of rent is based on your income, usually 30% of your monthly adjusted income. The housing authority pays the balance of rent directly to the landlord. The voucher holder must re-certify eligibility each year. There are long waitlists, so applicants may wait over 2 years for a voucher.

Applying for the Housing Choice Voucher Program in CT

You must apply for the Housing Choice Voucher Program through your local public housing authority. Documents needed include ID, Social Security cards, birth certificates, income/tax statements, and bank statements. Background checks are conducted. Get on the waitlist as soon as possible once it opens, as it can take years to receive a voucher.

HUD Multi-Family Housing

HUD Multi-Family Housing assists very low-income, elderly and disabled individuals and families with affordable rental housing. Private apartment communities participate in the program and maintain units with reduced rents for eligible tenants. HUD subsidizes the rents to operate below market rates. There are over 100 HUD multi-family housing developments across Connecticut.

How HUD Multi-Family Housing works

Participating apartment communities reserve a set number of units with discounted rents for low-income tenants. Each property has a specific income limit, usually 50-60% of area median income. You pay 30% of your adjusted monthly income as rent. HUD pays the owner the difference between your contribution and the HUD-approved market rent. Leases are renewed annually to confirm continued eligibility.

Applying for HUD Multi-Family Housing in CT

You must apply directly at the individual HUD apartment communities for unit availability. Average wait time is 1-2 years. Be sure to ask to be added to their waitlist. Proof of income, family size, citizenship, and additional requisites must be provided. Background checks are required.

Housing Tax Credit Property

The Housing Tax Credit program incentivizes private developers to build affordable rental housing. In exchange for tax credits, developers designate units with below-market rents for low-income tenants. There are over 18,000 tax credit rental units in 270+ properties across Connecticut.

How Housing Tax Credit Property works

Each tax credit property has a certain number of apartments set aside as affordable units based on the agreement with the state. Maximum income limits are usually 50-60% of the area median income. You must submit an application to the individual property manager to be screened for eligibility and availability.

Applying for Housing Tax Credit Property in CT

Visit the apartment community’s leasing office to obtain an application. You will need to provide documents to verify income, family size, assets, and other criteria. If eligible, your name will be placed on the waiting list, which can take 6-12 months before a unit is available. Application fees, deposits, and credit/background checks are required.

Connecticut Housing Assistance and Rehabilitation

The Connecticut Housing Assistance and Rehabilitation program provides grants and loans to low- and moderate-income homeowners for housing repairs and rehabilitation. Homeowners can receive up to $25,000 in assistance with a 5-year forgivable loan.

How the Housing Assistance and Rehabilitation Program works

Financial assistance can be used for repairs or improvements to correct code violations, make the home accessible, improve energy efficiency, and more. Examples include roof replacement, electrical/plumbing upgrades, insulation, and ramp installation. Income-eligible homeowners can apply through their town’s Housing Rehabilitation Agency.

Applying for the Housing Assistance and Rehabilitation Program in CT

Contact your city or town government and ask for information on housing rehabilitation resources. Schedule an assessment to determine repair needs and costs. Submit household income information and loan documentation. Homeowners must occupy the property and have homeowners insurance. Deferred payment loans have 0% interest and no monthly payments.

Security Deposit Assistance Program

Connecticut’s Security Deposit Assistance Program helps low-income families secure housing by providing funds for apartment rental deposits. Eligible families can receive up to $1,000 or two months’ rent towards their security deposit and initial rent.

How the Security Deposit Assistance Program works

The program issues a grant paid directly to the landlord for the amount of the security deposit and initial rent payment. To qualify, you must have an income below 50% of the state median and be homeless or at risk of homelessness. Priority goes to victims of domestic violence and families with children.

Applying for the Security Deposit Assistance Program in CT

You must work with a support services agency to apply, such as a community action agency. The agency will determine if you meet the eligibility criteria, assist with paperwork, and disperse payments on your behalf. Funds are limited and the waitlist may be long. Provide income, housing status, and household information to demonstrate need.

Housing Mortgage Finance Program

Connecticut Housing Finance Authority (CHFA) offers low-interest mortgage loans and downpayment assistance to help first-time homebuyers and lower-income households purchase homes statewide. CHFA mortgage programs feature below-market interest rates, low down payments, and flexible credit requirements.

CHFA mortgage programs

First-time homebuyer loans only require 3% downpayment and have competitive interest rates. Government loans allow downpayments as low as 3.5%. Set-aside grants help with downpayments and closing costs. Energy-efficient mortgages finance efficiency improvements. Purchase/rehab loans combine home purchase and renovation into one mortgage.

Applying for a CHFA mortgage

Work with CHFA-approved lenders to find the right mortgage or downpayment assistance program for you. Get pre-qualified to determine your budget and eligibility. Have funds available for your downpayment and closing costs. Be ready to provide income, tax, employment, and asset documentation. Homebuyer education may be required for certain loans.

Housing Assistance for Senior Citizens and People with Disabilities

Connecticut provides several housing assistance options tailored specifically for seniors age 62+ and people with disabilities. These programs help provide affordable, accessible housing along with coordinated services.

Key senior and disabled housing programs

Subsidized apartment communities offer reduced rent to income-qualified seniors. Assisted living provides support services and nursing care. Group homes and shared housing support independent living. Home modification grants up to $10,000 help make homes more accessible. Specialized vouchers assist with rent, utilities, and other housing costs.

Applying for senior and disabled housing assistance in CT

Contact your local Area Agency on Aging to learn about programs for seniors. State Medicaid agencies can provide information on disability housing resources. Be ready to verify your age/disability status and household income. Note any home accessibility needs or accommodations required. Get on waitlists early as demand is high.

Energy Assistance Program (CEAP)

The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) helps low-income households pay winter heating bills and furnace repairs. Benefits are based on income, family size, fuel type, and heating regions. CEAP is federally funded through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).

CEAP benefit amounts

Eligible households can receive between $310-$585 towards their primary heating bill, depending on income level. Additional crisis grants up to $580 are available for furnace repairs and deliverable fuel shortages. Renter households can get up to $150 applied to their utility bills through the Matching Payment Program.

Applying for CEAP in Connecticut

You can apply for CEAP online or through your local community action agency from August to May each year. Applicants must provide Social Security cards, proof of all household income, and a recent heating bill. Priority goes to households with children, elderly, or disabled members. Benefits are paid directly to utility vendors.

Emergency Housing Assistance

Connecticut has emergency housing assistance programs to help individuals and families facing homelessness or housing instability. These resources provide temporary financial aid, emergency shelter, transitional housing, and relocation services.

Types of emergency housing assistance

Eviction prevention funds help pay overdue rent and utility bills. Motel vouchers provide temporary lodging for homeless households. Shelters offer short-term accommodation along with meals, case management, and social services. Transitional housing gives medium-term stays to help stabilize employed individuals.

Accessing emergency housing help in CT

Dial 2-1-1 to connect with emergency housing services and resources in your area. Local community action agencies often administer emergency assistance programs. Provide proof of income, housing status, and risk factors like eviction notice or domestic violence. Funds are limited so prioritize applications are served first.

Housing Assistance for People with HIV/AIDS

Connecticut offers assistance programs specifically designed to help those living with HIV/AIDS access affordable housing. These programs help subsidize rent, provide transitional housing, assist with housing searches, and prevent eviction.

Main housing assistance programs for people with HIV/AIDS

  • HOPWA – Subsidizes rent, utilities and transitional housing
  • Ryan White Program – Short-term housing and emergency financial aid
  • Supportive Housing – Help finding and paying for long-term housing
  • Eviction prevention grants – Help paying overdue rent and utility bills

Applying for HIV/AIDS housing assistance in CT

Contact regional AIDS service organizations or your case manager to learn about housing resources you may qualify for. Provide proof of HIV/AIDS status through lab results, doctor’s letter, or other medical documentation. Be ready to supply income statements, housing costs, and other financial details. Priority goes to those who are homeless or unstably housed.

Housing Assistance for Domestic Violence Victims

Connecticut provides housing assistance programs tailored for victims of domestic violence. These programs aim to help individuals and families escape abuse and establish safe independent housing.

Main housing assistance options for domestic violence victims

  • Emergency shelter stays up to 60 days
  • Transitional housing up to 24 months
  • Rental assistance vouchers and security deposits
  • Down payment help for permanent housing
  • Supportive services – counseling, childcare, job assistance

Applying for domestic violence housing assistance in CT

Contact Connecticut Safe Connect to locate domestic violence agencies and shelter options in your area. Be ready to show police reports, protective orders, or provider letters as proof of abuse. Advocates can guide you through the application process and available assistance programs. All services are free and confidential.

USDA Rural Housing Loans

The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) offers several home loan and repair programs for residents of rural CT towns. These include low-interest mortgages, home repair loans/grants, and direct rental assistance for eligible households.

Key USDA rural housing programs

  • Section 502 Direct Loans – Fixed-rate financing for home purchase and construction
  • Section 504 Repair Loans/Grants – Aid for improving or modernizing homes
  • Section 515 Rental Assistance – Subsidies for affordable rental housing

Getting USDA rural housing assistance in CT

Check if your town qualifies as rural based on population and location. Apply through local lenders approved for USDA home loan programs. For home repairs, apply through your regional Rural Development Area Office. Be ready to provide household, income, employment, and credit information to determine eligibility.


There are numerous programs in Connecticut aimed at making housing more affordable for low and moderate-income residents. Key options include Section 8 vouchers, subsidized apartments, downpayment assistance, low-interest mortgages, and emergency/transitional housing. Federal, state, and local initiatives provide funding and partnerships to create inclusive housing access across the state. Identifying and applying for programs you qualify for can help you secure stable, affordable housing in Connecticut.