The WillPower Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to empowering youth to reach their full potential. Founded in 2005 by John and Jane Doe, the WillPower Foundation provides programs and resources to help underserved youth develop essential life skills.
What is the mission of the WillPower Foundation?
The WillPower Foundation’s mission is “to instill confidence, competence, and character in youth by providing them with tools to succeed in school, work, and life.” Specifically, the organization aims to:
- Build self-esteem and self-efficacy in youth
- Develop academic and vocational skills
- Promote positive decision making and goal setting
- Provide mentorship and guidance
The WillPower Foundation carries out its mission through a variety of programs and initiatives focused on leadership development, mentoring, skills training, and more.
What programs and services does the WillPower Foundation offer?
The WillPower Foundation provides the following key programs and services:
The organization’s flagship Leadership Academy provides a year-long program for high school students focused on building leadership skills. Through workshops, community service projects, public speaking training, and team building activities, students gain confidence and learn to become leaders in their schools and communities.
WillPower matches youth aged 12-18 with trained adult volunteer mentors. Meeting weekly, mentors provide guidance, support, and encouragement to help mentees set goals and make responsible choices. The mentoring program serves over 500 youth annually.
WillPower offers daily after-school programs focused on academics, life skills, vocational training, arts, and athletics. Programs provide a safe space for youth to receive homework help, work on college applications, learn job skills like coding or automotive repair, practice sports and fitness, and more.
For youth aged 16-24, WillPower offers programs to help prepare them for the workforce. Services include job readiness training, resume writing, interview skills, financial literacy education, and internship placement. Partnerships with local businesses provide real-world experience.
WillPower awards over $100,000 in scholarships annually to help youth pursue higher education. Scholarships support both merit and financial need.
What is the impact of the WillPower Foundation?
Since its founding, the WillPower Foundation has helped over 50,000 underserved youth gain the skills needed to succeed in school, work, and life. Some key results include:
- 95% of Leadership Academy graduates enroll in college
- 80% of mentees improve academics, relationships, and decision-making
- 70% of workforce program participants secure employment or enroll in higher education
- $1.2 million in scholarships awarded to date
Beyond the numbers, WillPower helps instill confidence, self-worth, and purpose in youth who need it most. Many alumni credit the organization with changing the trajectory of their lives. WillPower has been recognized for its transformative programming and impact.
How is the WillPower Foundation funded?
As a 501(c)(3) non-profit, the WillPower Foundation is funded through a mix of individual donations, corporate sponsorships, foundation grants, and government contracts. Some of the organization’s supporters include:
- Individual donors and volunteers
- ABC Corporation
- 123 Foundation
- Local city and county government
The organization hosts an annual fundraising gala as its major event to generate support. WillPower also applies for grant funding through government agencies, family foundations, and corporate giving programs. Donations from individuals provide a critical source of funding.
Who does the WillPower Foundation serve?
The WillPower Foundation serves disadvantaged and at-risk youth ages 12-24. The organization focuses on empowering low-income youth, youth of color, youth in foster care, justice-involved youth, and first-generation college students. WillPower operates locally within Anytown and also provides some programming regionally.
Key demographics served include:
- 85% from low-income households
- 65% youth of color
- 30% in foster care
- 15% involved in juvenile justice system
- 60% would be first in family to attend college
By targeting populations facing systemic barriers, WillPower aims to provide access to opportunities and resources to help close achievement gaps.
Where does the WillPower Foundation operate?
The WillPower Foundation is based in Anytown, USA with its main youth center located at 123 Main Street. While focused in Anytown, WillPower serves youth throughout the greater metro region as well.
Key locations include:
- Anytown Youth Center – main facility housing leadership academy, after school programs, and workforce development
- Anytown High School – in-school programs
- Mountainside High School (25 miles away) – additional in-school programs
- Parksville Community Center (15 miles away) – satellite location for after school programs
In 2022, WillPower programming reached 2,500 youth in Anytown and its surrounding cities. The organization hopes to continue expanding its geographic reach in coming years.
When was the WillPower Foundation founded?
The WillPower Foundation was founded in 2005 by married couple John and Jane Doe. John Doe grew up in an underserved neighborhood in Anytown and benefitted from a local youth mentoring program himself as a teen. He went on to found a successful business and wanted to give back. Together with his wife Jane, a teacher, they established WillPower to empower the next generation of Anytown youth.
Key milestones include:
- 2005 – WillPower Foundation founded
- 2006 – Opened first youth center in Anytown
- 2009 – Launched workforce development programs
- 2012 – Expanded mentoring program citywide
- 2017 – John and Jane Doe Foundation awarded $5M grant to WillPower to construct new leadership academy
- 2019 – Launched scholarships for higher education
- 2022 – Expanded programs into neighboring cities
For 17 years, the organization has progressively grown its programming and number of youth served. WillPower has established itself as a critical community resource in empowering underserved youth.
Why was the WillPower Foundation started?
John Doe founded WillPower based on his personal experience growing up in an under-resourced community. As a teen, he was able to access a youth mentoring program that changed his life trajectory. John went on to graduate college and start a successful business.
Compelled to give back to his hometown, John and Jane started WillPower to provide the next generation the same kinds of opportunities that had powerfully impacted John’s life. They sought to level the playing field and open doors for disadvantaged youth facing systemic barriers.
Specifically, WillPower aimed to address key community needs including:
- Lack of accessible youth programs for low-income families
- Achievement gaps in school among youth of color and low-income youth
- Limited employment opportunities for opportunity youth
- Mentorship and guidance to encourage goal setting and personal growth
By offering positive programs focused on developing youth as leaders, WillPower works to create a more just community where backgrounds and circumstances do not limit potential.
How can I get involved with the WillPower Foundation?
There are many ways community members can get involved with the WillPower Foundation, including:
- Volunteering – Serve as a mentor, help with programs and events, join the Young Professionals Board
- Donating – Give financially to support WillPower’s mission and youth
- Partnering – Coordinate drives, sponsor events, provide in-kind services, hire program youth
- Advocating – Follow on social media, share posts, tell others about WillPower
- Applying – Youth can apply to participate in programs and services
Individuals, groups, and businesses can all get involved according to their interests and abilities. WillPower offers many ways for community stakeholders to lend their time, talent, and support.
To learn more about volunteering, donating, or other ways to contribute, visit the Get Involved section on the WillPower Foundation website at www.willpower.org.
Who are the leaders of the WillPower Foundation?
John and Jane Doe serve as co-founders and board members of the WillPower Foundation. Additionally, the organization has the following leadership team:
|Chief Executive Officer
|Chief Program Officer
|Director of Development
Jennifer Adams has served as CEO since 2016 when founder John Doe stepped down from daily operations. The staff leadership team brings decades of combined non-profit management experience.
Additionally, WillPower has an 18-member Board of Directors that provides governance and strategic oversight. The Board includes community leaders from business, philanthropy, government, and the non-profit sector.
What are the core values of the WillPower Foundation?
The WillPower Foundation operates according to the following core values:
- Youth-Centered – We prioritize the specific needs of each young person. Youth are partners in creating programming.
- Inclusion – We value diversity and welcome youth from all backgrounds, abilities, and identities.
- Empowerment – We believe all youth have potential and can succeed with opportunity and support.
- Access – We eliminate barriers and provide opportunity to youth who need it most.
- Excellence – We hold ourselves to the highest standards of ethics, efficacy, and fiscal responsibility.
These core values shape WillPower’s organizational culture and drive the development of impactful programs. By leading with these principles, WillPower can best serve youth and create pathways for them to reach their potential.
How can I contact the WillPower Foundation?
There are several ways to contact the WillPower Foundation:
- Phone: 123-456-7890
- Email: [email protected]
- Website contact form: www.willpower.org/contact
- Mailing address: WillPower Foundation, 123 Main St, Anytown USA 12345
- Social media: @WillPowerOrg (links on website)
The organization’s main office is open weekdays from 9am – 5pm. You can reach the general phone line during office hours or leave a message. Someone will aim to respond within 1-2 business days.
For specific questions about programs and services, you can find individual department contacts on the website. The fastest way to reach WillPower is typically through the contact form or social media messaging.
For over 15 years, the WillPower Foundation has provided life-changing programs to empower underserved youth in Anytown and surrounding communities. By instilling confidence and providing access to opportunity, WillPower helps level the playing field so all youth can build the skills to succeed.
WillPower offers a diverse array of leadership, mentoring, vocational, academic, and enrichment programs tailored to enable youth to reach their potential. Funding comes from generous donors and partners who believe in the organization’s mission.
From volunteering to donating to applying for services, there are many ways community members can get involved with this impactful non-profit. WillPower provides a hand up for youth to gain the competence, confidence, and character to thrive.