Soap scum is described as a white, chalky film that builds in your bathroom every time you bathe. It results from soap products. Recent or new soap scums are easy to remove using regular cleaning detergents. However, if left uncleaned for long, they harden. At that level, only effective soap scum removers can help you clean your bathroom.
A soap scum consists of soap products, mainly calcium and magnesium. It usually forms in large quantities if hard water is used. To minimize their formation, you can use liquid detergents. But if they are already there, you need to buy the best soap scum remover to help you scrub them off.
Best Soap Scum Remover Top Picks
There are many soap scum removers on the market, but not all of them will give the cleaning experience you would expect. That, therefore, calls for a careful selection of the appropriate product. We will review some of the leading soap scum removers in later sections. But for now, let us just list them.
- Rain-X Shower Door X-Treme Clean
- Rejuvenate Scrub Free Soap Scum Remover
- Wet and Forget Shower Cleaner
- Rain-X Shower Door Water Repellent
- Granite Gold Shower cleaner spray
- Rejuvenate No Scrub Soap Scum Remover
- CRL Water Stain Remover
- Scrub Free Total Bathroom Cleaner
- Tilex Bathroom Cleaner
- Tilex Daily Shower Cleaner
What Do You Need to Consider When You Are Buying?
People have different tastes and preferences. That means what someone prefers will not be the same as what you will buy. However, you need to consider some common factors when choosing soap scum remover, which include the following:
We have introduced the liquid, spray, and paste soap scum removers. You can choose any of these depending on what works best for you or their advantages and disadvantages. It is a free choice because all work the same way to remove soap scum from walls, floors, doors, and glass.
Different soap scum removers are effective on specific surfaces. Some are more effective on glass, tiles, granite, wood, concrete wall, etc. Also, some removers can react with surfaces. That will damage your bathroom aesthetics. Check the label of surface-specific instructions.
Some soap scum removers in the market are made of surfactants, acids, and ammonium chloride. These may not go well with you if you are looking for eco-friendly products. Unfortunately, most eco-friendly soap scum removers require thorough scrubbing to remove the scum from the surface.
You also need to check the toxicity of the product you buy. Toxic ones are not only harmful to the environment but also to you and your bathroom. Always check the list of ingredients printed on the label to be sure.
Your budget will also determine what you buy. Different soap scum remover products are manufactured by varying companies. So, don’t be surprised if the price tags are not the same. Determine your budget and go for what fits it. At the same time, you need to get the best value for your money. You might be paying expensively for a product that could be sold at a lower price.
Types Of Soap Scum Remover
Knowing the appropriate type of soap scum remover to buy can help you save time and money. You can find it in liquid, spray, and paste form, but what is the difference?
- Liquid: As the name suggests, they are in liquid form. These soap scum removers can easily dissolve to make the cleaning process easier and quicker. They offer the best value for your money and have eco-friendly options.
- Spay: This type comes in spray bottles. They are easy to apply since you can aim the nozzle to the exact location with the soap scum. Spray soap scum cleaners are affordable and have many uses.
- Paste: A type of soap scum remover that is less famous. Unlike the spray ones, you have to spread the paste on the area with soap scum. The products have enough contact time to reduce the soap scum, making it easier to clean.
Review the Top 10 Best Soap Scum Remover picks
We will review some of the most effective soap scum removers in the market, including the pros and cons of using them. It can help you decide on the product to buy.
This is one of the best products out there for removing soap scum from glass surfaces. It can also remove stubborn stains from hard water. Rain-X is easy to use. Just apply it on the surface to be cleaned. That can be the glass shower doors, bathroom mirrors, or any other surface. Now, scrub in a circular motion to remove the scum and rinse with clean water.
- Easy to apply and rinse from the surface
- Neutral scent
- Effective first time
- Require much energy to scrub the surface
If you don’t want to scrub the surface, then the Rejuvenate is the best choice. It comes as a liquid or sprays to those who like it in that form.
Once applied to the scummy area, it dislodges the soap scum from the surface by dissolving it. You can then rinse or simply wipe it off with a bathroom towel. Honestly, we haven’t seen such an easy-to-use soap scum remover.
- Non-toxic and bleach-free
- No scrubbing needed
- Dissolve the soap scum from the surface
- It can make some stones fade for a long-term use
- Cannot effectively dissolve hardened soap scum
This cleaner keeps your bathroom clean all week long. That means you only have to do the cleaning once a week. Apply it when you go to bed and clean the following day.
You can use Wet and Forget Shower Cleaner to remove soap scum from shower curtains, glass, fixtures, sinks, doors, tiles, and shiny bathroom accessories. You will enjoy every treat of this product with a sweet-smelling vanilla scent.
- No scrubbing required
- No aggressive fumes – just the vanilla scent
- High efficiency on different surfaces
- A little bit expensive
As the name suggests, this product not only removes soap scum but also makes doors water-repellent. That means you will be limiting the formation of scums on your bathroom surfaces as soapy water doesn’t stay long enough to form the scum.
However, the strong odor from this product is worrying. You might need to open all the windows and doors, and if possible, put on a gas mask to protect yourself from the fumes.
- Easy to apply
- Forms a durable coat that can last up to weeks
- Prevents soap scum formation or buildup on the shower doors.
- Produces strong fumes
The Granite Gold Shower Cleaner is safe on bath and shower fixtures, even for long-term use. It is effective in removing soap scum and preventing mold and mildew growth. You can use it to deep-clean all types of surfaces, including, but not limited to, granite, marble, ceramic, and travertine. Use it on your shower walls, tub surrounds, and many other affected sections.
- Prevent mold and mildew growth
- Effective on natural stone surfaces, ceramics, and many others.
- All-purpose bathroom cleaning
- A little pricey
This soap scum remover should have been the first on our list. It is a non-abrasive cleaner with high efficacy on glass, ceramic, fiberglass, and natural stones. Rejuvenate No Scrub Scum Cleaner is non-toxic, bleach-free, and doesn’t produce any toxic fumes. Get the best value for your money by choosing this product.
- Neutral fragrance
- Easy to use
- Effective on various surfaces
- No sanitization property
This product is not an ordinary soap scum remover. It is additionally effective in getting rid of rust and mold from glass and other surfaces. You can apply it on shower doors, tiles, stainless steel, porcelain, fiberglass, chrome, and many other surfaces. It is also helpful in eliminating stage one corrosion. So, you will enjoy a shinier bathroom accessory.
- No fragrance
- Removes rusts and molds
- Stops stage one corrosion
- A bit pricey for the quality
This product is very aggressive on soap scum. Once it becomes in contact with the unsightly scum, it dissolves it. The scrub-free cleaner does both cleaning and deodorizing. You can rely on it to clean tiles, shower doors, fixtures, tubs, sinks, vinyl curtains, and many other accessories.
You should open windows when using this product. The application and action may take just a few minutes. Once you allow enough time for the soap scum or other stains to dissolve, wipe or rinse with clean water.
- No scrubbing
- Cleans as well as deodorizes
- Effective on different surfaces
- Produces fumes
- May corrode some surfaces such as frosted glass, brass, aluminum, natural marble or other natural stones, fabrics, carpets, etc.
Tilex is the best cleaner for tiles. If you want to give your bathroom tiles a new sparkling look, apply this cleaner. It effectively removes tough stains, soap scum, mold, and any other unsightly substances in your bathroom. Additionally, Tilex has an antibacterial property. That means it not only cleans the surfaces but also deodorizes them.
- Effective on different surfaces
- Cleans and deodorizes
- Effectively used up to the last drop
- Disinfect surfaces
- May make colored tiles fade
You can effectively keep soap scum and other stubborn stains in your bathroom at bay by just spraying Tilex Daily Shower Cleaner. Whether the scum has hardened or piled up on your shower walls, you should not worry if you have this cleaner. It is the best way to get rid of soap scum and hard water. You just spray and go.
- No rinsing, scrubbing, or cleaning required
- No dull residues left behind
- No strong fumes generated
- Difficult to refill
Is Soap Scum Harmful?
Yes, though they don’t cause direct harm. Even though not directly harmful, we have to admit that it creates unsightly scenes in the bathroom. Every time you take a shower, soap scum accumulates. They then become a breeding ground for bacteria.
The bacteria can become airborne using steam from hot water to get to your skin. When that happens, you will start experiencing skin and respiratory problems.
How Do You Make Homemade Soap Scum Remover?
Are you a DIYer or just don’t have time to look for commercial soap scum remover from the market? You can make one at home. There are different recipes that you can actually use, but we will stick to the simplest one. Anyone can make this homemade soap scum remover. Fortunately, it is as effective as the store-bought ones.
Equipment you need:
- Spray bottle
- 1 cup dawn dish soap
- 1 cup white vinegar
Heat the white vinegar in a microwave and then pour it into the spray bottle.
Pour dawn soap into the same spray bottle, close the lid, and shake well to mix.
Spray the mixture in your bathroom or affected locations and let it stand for about 30 minutes to one hour. Remember to ventilate the room. If possible, turn on the fan and open the windows.
Use the scrubber to scrub the wall and then rinse with clean water
More Tips to Prevent Soap Scum
Soap scum can form in every bathroom or laundry room, but you can take necessary precautions to reduce its formation. Use the following tips:
- Use body wash, which does not form scum as bar soaps do
- Use soft water for laundry and bathing – it does not contain magnesium and calcium, which form scum with soap.
- Rinse your bathroom with clean water and dry it off to remove soapy water.
- Make homemade shower spray and use them frequently to prevent the formation of soap scum.
Soap scum can ruin the look of your bathroom and make showering the worst experience. It can also harbor bacteria that cause skin and respiratory infections. Luckily, there are the best soap scum removers on the market to keep your bathroom sparkling clean. You can also use homemade cleaners. Don’t allow soap scum to colonize your bathroom when you already have a defense mechanism against it.