Perhaps you went insane at the local supermarket when you learned that certain items were on sale. Isn’t it true that we all do? Sometimes you can end up with more than you need. But it soon dawned on you that you wouldn’t be able to complete everything all at once. If you bought cheese in bulk, especially all of it.
The shelf life of Velveeta cheese can be extended through freezing. However, it is a delicate process that should be carried out with care. Can you freeze Velveeta cheese? We will walk you through how you can freeze Velveeta cheese and all other things you should know about. Stay aboard!
Recipes with Velveeta Cheese
Velveeta cheese has a wide range of culinary possibilities beyond whisking into stovetop mac and cheese. You have an endless list of recipes that require either fresh or defrosted Velveeta cheese. So, it is not a problem to keep it as long as possible. These are the common ones that you can also try at home.
Chocolate Velveeta Fudge Recipe
|Unsalted butter, softened||1 cup (8-ounces)|
|Block pasteurized process cheese, such as Velveeta||1 (8-ounce) block|
|Confectioners’ Sugar||2 pounds|
|Unsweetened cocoa||1/2 cup|
|Pure vanilla extract||2 teaspoons|
|Pecans, or walnuts, coarsely chopped||1 1/2 cups|
Collect the necessary components.
Using butter, grease a 9-inch square pan. Because this recipe produces a heavy, dense end result, it’s best to avoid the cooking spray.
Make small cubes of Velveeta cheese. They don’t have to be perfectly symmetrical, but small pieces are easier to work with than a large chunk.
Combine the butter and cheese cubes in a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Cook while constantly stirring until the cheese has melted and become smooth.
Remove from the heat but do not let cool. If it thickens too much, add a teaspoon of hot water to loosen it up.
Whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder (or sift them together). Mix the sugar and cocoa powder into the cheese mixture thoroughly.
Blend in the vanilla and nuts thoroughly. It’s normal for the mixture to be thicker than you expect.
Press the mixture into the prepared pan and chill for about 2 hours (not in the freezer) or until stiff. Squares should be cut off.
Crock Pot Velveeta Mexican Cheese Dip Recipe
|Velveeta cheese||8 ounces|
|Diced tomatoes with green chili peppers||3/4 cup|
|Taco seasoning||1 teaspoon|
Put Velveeta cheese cubes in the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 30 to 60 minutes, stirring regularly, until caramelized.
Combine the tomatoes, chilies, and taco seasoning in a mixing bowl.
Cover and heat for another 30 minutes. Serve immediately with tortilla or corn chips.
Velveeta Tuna Melt Skillet Recipe
|Velveeta Cheesy Skillets Dinner Kit Tuna Melt||1 pkg. (12.8 oz.)|
|Tuna, drained, flaked||2 cans (5 oz. each)|
|Round buttery crackers, crushed||12 round / 1/2 cup|
Toss the pasta and vegetables in a mixing bowl.
Seasoning In a large skillet, combine the mix and the water.
Bring to a boil and then cover.
Simmer for 9 to 11 minutes over medium-low heat, or until pasta is soft and most of the liquid has been incorporated. Remove the pan from the heat.
Mix in the tuna lightly. Add the VELVEETA Cheese Sauce and mix well.
Cracker crumbs are then sprinkled on top.
Does Velveeta Cheese Go Bad?
Velveeta cheese is like any other milk product with definite shelf life. It will spoil after the best sell-by date or when already opened. However, Velveeta cheese has a longer shelf life than most of the milk products in the market. That is attributed to the manufacturing process, where preservatives are also added.
This cheese is made by heating under extreme temperatures that destroy all microorganisms that can cause food spoilage and, consequently, poisoning. But if you want it to last even longer, freezing is the best way to go. We will discuss more in the later sections.
Signs That Velveeta Cheese Has Gone Bad?
Although the manufacturer always prints the best sell-by date on the label, the product will lose quality over time. Beyond that or when the package is opened, the cheese will no longer be ideal for any use.
These indicators can help you determine whether it is fresh or not:
- Color: Velveeta cheese has a distinct pale yellowish color. Discard it if you notice any discrepancies.
- Smell: Velveeta has a mild odor. It should not be a problem if you regularly use it. If there is an unusual smell, don’t use it, even in cooked recipes. There is a good chance that it is spoiled.
- Taste: Regular users of Velveeta cheese will know how a fresh one tastes. A change in flavor is a definite red flag, but you should leave room for possible degradation due to long storage.
- Texture: Velveeta cheese is characterized by a mushy, soft texture. If it becomes dry and/or crusty, inspect it further using other warning signs already stated. It may be inappropriate freezing and thawing, but the most likely cause is that the cheese is spoiled.
- Mold: Mold doesn’t grow on fresh food. Its presence is a clear indication of food spoilage, and the same applies to Velveeta cheese.
How Long Does Velveeta Cheese Last?
As mentioned, Velveeta cheese lasts longer than many other cheese types on the market. However, that does not mean it will last forever. An unopened Velveeta cheese can last between 2-3 weeks in the pantry. You can extend this by storing it in a fridge, which will extend it up to 2 months. For even a longer lifespan, freeze Velveeta cheese. It will still be safe for consumption six months later.
|Velveeta Cheese Shelf Life|
|Unopened||2 to 3 weeks||/||/|
|Opened||2 to 3 days||2 months||6 months|
Can You Freeze Velveeta Cheese?
Yes. Most of the milk products can be frozen, and Velveeta cheese is not an exception. If you plan to use the cheese for cooking, freezing it will make it last longer. You may use the thawed Velveeta cheese to make dips, classic mac and cheese, and cheese casseroles.
How to freeze Velveeta Cheese?
You have to follow the procedures when freezing Velveeta cheese to the latter. Any step that is not right can significantly impact the shelf life. With all the steps followed to the latter, you can enjoy your Velveeta cheese many months later. But if you don’t, the cheese can spoil in the freezer and fail to attain the expected shelf life.
Follow these steps to freeze your Velveeta cheese:
- Unpack Velveeta cheese and wrap it in a plastic bag. To stop the cheese from becoming crusty, use two layers of plastic wrap.
- Next, put the wrapped Velveeta cheese in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container. Try to remove any excess air from the container and carefully seal it.
- Place the cheese at the back of the freezer for optimal results. Temperature is lowest at this section of your freezer. Remember to label the freezer bag or freezer-safe airtight container, whichever is used. It becomes easier to track the dates.
Freezing Velveeta Cheese Tips
There are a few things that you should know when preparing to freeze or when freezing Velveeta cheese. These are what can tell the difference between long shelf life and spoiled cheese. They include the following:
- Don’t refreeze Velveeta cheese that has already been defrosted, as it will significantly degrade. You are advised to defrost only the amount you want to use.
- Always remember to unpack the Velveeta cheese before wrapping and freezing
- Remove as much air from the freezer bag as possible to keep it fresh for a longer time.
- Don’t forget to make the current date on the freezer bag before putting the cheese into the freezer. It will help you know whether the cheese is still fresh or spoiled, depending on the period it has been in the freezer.
- Ensure the temperature in the freezer is at its lowest and stable. Fluctuating freezer temperatures can have negative impacts on frozen cheese.
How to Defrost Velveeta cheese
Velveeta cheese can be kept frozen for up to 6 months. But to use it when still fresh, we recommend eating the cheese as soon as possible. Simply place the frozen Velveeta cheese in the refrigerator to thaw. That is better done overnight.
If you wish to use the frozen Velveeta cheese, plan ahead of time because it will need some hours to thaw. To defrost Velveeta cheese, take it out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. Wrap the cheese in plastic wrap to keep it wet. Discard the wrapper once the food has thawed.
Alternatively, you can thaw Velveeta cheese in a saucepan. Melt it over low heat while constantly stirring to recombine the ingredients. It can be melted or returned to solid condition for other uses.
After thawing Velveeta cheese, you might realize the quality changes. Frozen cheese may lose its consistency and texture. But should still be good enough for use in different dishes.
Tips for Using Frozen and Defrosted Velveeta cheese?
- The most common use for thawed Velveeta cheese is used in cooked recipes.
- Don’t use it if it has signs of spoilage. Simply discard it because of the possible food poisoning.
- Don’t think of refreezing an already thawed Velveeta cheese. It is likely to degrade more.
Don’t be afraid of overstocking if a store has a Velveeta cheese promotion. You can extend the shelf life of these pasteurized milk products for up to 6 months through freezing. However, you should follow the steps for freezing Velveeta cheese.
In this article, we answered the question “Can you freeze Velveeta cheese” and outlined the Velveeta cheese freezing and defrosting procedure. We have also included all the necessary tips. Apply them to achieve the maximum storage life possible.